The primary goal of class parents is make every family at PS8 feel connected to our community. The role of the class parent is to support and build community within the classroom as well as to serve as a communication liaison between the classroom families, the classroom teacher(s), and the Parent and Teachers Association (PTA). Serving as a class parent is an excellent opportunity to connect to your child’s class and to be involved in both the classroom and student/family community. Ideally, every class should have two class parents.
Typical Responsibilities of the Class Parent Include:
- Internal Class Directory: The purpose of this internal class directory, which usually includes email and/or phone contact information for all class families, is to facilitate communications between the teacher and class families.
- Classroom Events/Communications: Class parents will need to coordinate with the classroom teacher(s) to determine the need for specific in-classroom activities and/or communications, that may include:
– assisting with classroom/curriculum-driven events, such as publishing celebrations
– publicizing/assisting with grade specific projects, events, and trips
– helping solicit volunteers for events/identifying skills among our families
- Class Gifts: The giving of class gifts is a tradition that involves the parents of the class presenting the teachers with a gift from the class at the end of December and at the end of June. All families in the class are invited to contribute, but this donation is absolutely voluntary. This is a nice way for the parents to show the teachers how much we appreciate all of their hard work.
If you have any questions about the role and expectations of class parents or interested in becoming one for your child’s class, please contact PS8’s Parent Coordinator.
Lunch/Recess volunteers provide support to lunchroom teachers and recess staff in the cafeteria and playground.
- helping younger kids open their lunches
- giving them guidance in the cafeteria (especially kindergartners)
- assisting in recycling/trash sorting
- helping pack up and gather belongings
- smoothing the transition to the next group of diners
- helping monitor the children at recess
Volunteers need to make a weekly commitment. For questions or to volunteer, please contact PS8’s Parent Coordinator.
The library would love to host volunteers to help with the shelving and covering of books after drop-off (1st period) and/or before pick-up (7th period). Please contact our librarian, Amanda Green, if you are interested in helping out.