General Guidelines for Grades K-5
- 1st and 2nd grade homework is assigned weekly, Monday – Friday. Homework packets are due Friday.
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade homework is assigned daily, Monday – Thursday. Homework will not be assigned on weekends and during school breaks with the exception of longer, home-based projects connected to the units of study. Teachers may assign optional homework over school breaks.
- Homework is not for the purpose of assessment. Rather, homework is used to foster student responsibility and time management skills and provide a window for families to see the work that students are engaged in on a daily basis.
- Written homework is limited to PS8 curriculum including Teachers College Reading and Writing Project, FUNdations, Amplify, Bridges, and Number Corner.
- Reading logs will not be assigned as part of homework. Teachers may choose to use the power of reading logs in class to help students track their engagement with books.
- Homework will not be grouped by student ability (i.e., low, medium, and high).
- Communication with families concerning units of study, skills of focus, and goals will be shared with families on a monthly basis by teacher teams via the monthly newsletter.
Daily Homework Time Allotment
Kindergarten – Parents and children spend time together with books for 10-15 minutes
1st Grade – 10-15 minutes of reading; 5-10 minutes of written work (maximum of 4 work pages/week)
2nd Grade – 15-20 minutes of reading; 10-15 minutes of written work (maximum of 4 work pages/week)
3rd Grade – 15-20 minutes of reading; 15-20 minutes of written work
4th Grade – 20-25 minutes of reading; 20-25 minutes of written work
5th Grade – 25-30 minutes of reading; 25-30 minutes of written work