Attention artists, writers, and lovers of books! PS8 is participating in the Ezra Jack Keats Bookmaking Competition for the first time, and you are invited to enter! For over thirty years, NYC public school children have been writing and illustrating picture books for this citywide competition.
One winner will be selected from PS8 to compete before a jury of artists, authors, and children’s literature experts. Three books will be selected as winner from each group: grades 3-5, grades 6-8, and grades 9-12. Books will be displayed at the Brooklyn Public Central Library.
The citywide winners receive a medal and $500, and five borough runners-up receive a medal and $100. Honorable mentions and school-wide winners receive a personal certificate of commendation.
This is a picture bookmaking competition, so you will have to write, draw, paint, collage, photograph, etc. your own books — clipart and computer images will not be accepted. The bookmaking club will meet during 6th period on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning in December.
- You will be working both during your lunch period and at home (you may bring your lunch up to the library — we will break the rules for bookmaking, but you must clean up after yourself!)
- The bookmaking club will provide all materials needed for bookmaking, but you may also add your own items.
- You may work with one partner if you choose, but you will have to share the fame and fortune if you are selected as a winner.
- Books may be about anything (historical event, personal story, fantasy, informational) but must be in picture book form to enter this competition.
- Deadline for submission is January 14, 2019.