Why do we fundraise?
Ultimately, we fundraise to enhance our children’s educational experience.
The PTA is an active and integral part of the PS8/MS8 community. Everything we do is made possible by volunteers and donations from our parent community. NYC public schools, including PS8/MS8, remain underfunded – meaning our requested budget is not fully financed by the Department of Education. Our families have been incredible, and our fundraising has allowed PS8/MS8 to fill in many gaps and better meet the needs of our children. While we have done so much, we still face financial challenges each year.
Every dollar raised helps our school. PS8/MS8 is a public school with no mandatory fees or tuition. The supplemental funding our PTA provides is critical. We ask every family to give as generously as possible to enhance our children’s educational experience.
Ways to Give
Be active in our community. Volunteer at school, with the PTA, or at events.
Fulfill your teacher or specialty class wish lists.
Making a Difference
- $150 pays for enrichment programs for one PS8 student
- $1,000 is the approximate amount the PTA spends per student for expenses not covered by the DOE
- $1,200 is what the PTA pays for supplies, field trips, and speakers for one MS8 exploration program
- $2,300 pays one PS8 teaching assistant for one month
- $3,000 pays for recess assistance for one month
- $4,000 pays for a 10-week human development and sexuality residency for 7th or 8th graders
This year, with your support, we will fund:
- Full-time specialty teachers
- Guidance counselors
- Professional development
- Teaching assistants
- Enrichment programs
- Capital improvements
- Classroom and office supplies
- Exploration programs
- Bridges Math Curriculum
- Recess assistance
- Lice checks
- PupilPath portal for grading and assignments
- Human development and sexuality residency