Q: How much should I donate?
This year the PTA will spend about $1,000 per student to pay for critical staff (including teaching assistants), enrichment residencies (Guggenheim, Studio in a School, Marquis Studios, etc.), recess assistance with Kids Orbit, building improvements, supplies and technology. We understand that not all families are able to support our school at that level; we appreci8 gifts of all sizes and rely on the generosity of our families to maintain the quality of education at PS 8’s lower and middle schools.
Q: How can I donate?
So many ways! Some include:
- By direct donations at any time – checks payable to the PTA of PS 8; online by credit card (where you can support our school even more by covering the credit card fees); and appreciated stock donations;
- By attending our Annual Auction Gala and purchasing fun items and experiences at the auction;
- By pledging support to your child for reading during our Readathon;
- By purchasing PS 8 apparel or merchandise, or shopping with our community partners (Amazon, anyone?);
- By attending our community and fundraising events – have fun at our fork+pencil Book Fair, Fall Classic Softball Game, Night to Celebr8 Reading, Holiday Craft Fair, Wine and Whiskey Tasting, Dunk for 8, Celebr8 Science, Golf Outing, and the Paddlewheeler Block Party.
The lowest cost way to support our school is by direct donation – but participating in our fundraising and community events and purchasing items that offer a portion of proceeds to our PTA are also wonderful ways to support our school while getting something you need or enjoy as well!
Q: Is payment for a Kids Cre8 club a donation?
No – it’s payment for a class. Kids Cre8 clubs cost significantly less than similar after-school programs and clubs. We are able to offer them at such a low rate because family volunteers support the program with their time and volunteer labor. The extent to which Kids Cre8 clubs generate funding to support our programs depends on how many students sign up, how many teachers are needed, scholarships, and many other variables.
Q: Are donations tax-deductible?
Yes, the PTA is a non-profit organization, with 501(c)(3) status. Our federal Tax ID number is 11-2578366.
Q: Can I participate in a corporate matching program?
Yes, find out if your donation may be doubled or even tripled! Use our online form to determine whether your company has a corporate matching program and, if so, what forms are needed and the process for getting your donation matched!
Q: How can businesses support PS 8?
We are always seeking community partners and would love to speak with businesses about the variety of ways they can support our local public school. We’re a great partner, with almost 1000 students in the 2016-17 school year and families who love to support local businesses that support their school! Some opportunities include:
- donating items and experiences to our annual auction;
- sponsoring our community events (Night To Celebr8 Reading, Celebr8 Science, Holiday Craft Fair, Paddlewheeler)
- donating a portion of proceeds from sales to PS 8 community members back to the PTA of PS 8.
Contact us! Let’s brainstorm about additional ways your businesses can support our school!